Thursday 2 June 2016

Hello, this is me, imperfections and all...

There are a lot of new people to my page, and some of you don't know me or my background, so it's time I did an update of my bio, so you know who you are working with.


Those that have just met me probably see me as some crazy lycra clad lady who is obsessed with making you do burpees, and I am in some ways, because I want you all to have the love of exercise and fitness that I have found.

It wasn't always this way, from the age of 10 I was obese, over the years sometimes morbidly. As a serial, yet clearly quite bad at it, dieter I went up, I went down (a little bit) but generally hovered at around 16 stone. The highest I've recorded was 17 1/2 stone but I'm pretty sure there were times I was higher. But it wasn't the weight, more the clothes, shops are better now but when I was younger I had to buy men's clothes to cater for my size. It's never a good look as a young teen. I used to delude myself that size 22 fitted so heaven knows what my size peaked at, and yes as you can see I had terrible hair styles too!

Three years ago I lost 6 1/2 stone when I ran my first marathon, through simply eating good real clean food and exercising. Edinburgh marathon 2013 was one of the best days of my life. I ran in roughly 4 hours 35 (I forget the actual time) and to cross the line as a marathoner was something many people, including myself never thought possible. 

So I run marathons, ultras, half marathons, fun runs, 10k's, mud runs (this could go on a while) tell me there's a race and I'll wave my money in your face, even if I'm broke. Why? because it's fun, it makes me feel alive, I get to spend time with like minded individuals who either don't see me as crazy or just accept it, probably because they are bonkers too. And the best bit? I now get to help change peoples lives.

After years of self confidence issues I chose to enter a fickle and looks based industry as a fitness professional. It was such a scary move for me, and I struggled with insecurities for a long time, I still do, but I love it. Two years later I'm self employed, work out not just for fun but for my job, I meet amazing people every week and try to help them find the confident, healthy and strong individuals they already are but sometimes can't get to the surface. 

It's body confidence that I want to talk to you about. I'ts taken me a long time to be even remotely comfortable with my body. In my head I assumed that after losing so much weight I would have a great figure; toned abs, no cellulite in sight, no bingo wings. The reality isn't that. I have excess skin, I have cellulite and sometimes I am still hung up on it. But I should't be. My body is awesome, it's strong, it's beautiful and it created a beautiful human being. 

I don't look like the air brushed cover on a magazine, I have lots of weird lumps and bumps. I probably have to tuck things in that shouldn't need tucking in and my stretch marks have stretch marks but my body is the reason I am where I am today. My fickle determination to look better  has made me the fit, strong and healthy individual I am now.

The main message? believe in yourself and be kind to yourself. Do the things you enjoy, eat the things you enjoy... (OK in moderation, got to get that in there) You've heard it all before but we only get one life, live it with the people who put a smile on your face and do the things that make that smile broader. 

Fitness and nutrition as an industry is challenging, there is so much information to digest, don't do this, don't do that, eat this, train this way. What works for me is to keep it clean. Eat more fruits and vegetables, choose lean meats and cook meals from scratch and don't use jars or packet sauces. Remember those macro nutrients, we need them all. Healthy fats, muscle building protein and energy giving carbohydrate.

Just keep it simple, listen to your body and move more, make your goals achievable so success happens without you realizing. Surround yourself with positive, like minded individuals who build you up, not tear you down and before you know it you will be running that race, and making healthy choices as second nature...

If you have been even just a little bit inspired, get in touch, I would love to hear your story. Even better, come along to one of my classes. We love to meet new people and I promise we don't bite

For more information on my classes or me click here

Becky






For a healthier, happier you
www.bw-fitness.co.uk








No comments:

Post a Comment